Starlight Express has been produced all over the world, from London and New York, to Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
The material has been revised many times.
Most productions have involved the original creative team or their deputies. For example, the director of the Bochum production, Dion McHugh, was Trevor Nunn’s associate director in London. Arlene Phillips has gone on to direct – as well as choreograph – many productions of the show.
- West End (1984-2002)
- Broadway (1987-1989)
- Bochum (1988 to Present)
- Las Vegas (1993-1997)
- Touring Productions (1989-2013: US Tour 1, US Tour 2, Japan/Australia Tours, UK Tour 1, UK Tour 2, Asia Tour)
- 1974 - 1983: Various projects, concerts and workshops leading up to the first production
- 1984 - London
- 1987 - Broadway
- 1987 - Japan/Australia Tour
- 1988 - Bochum
- 1988 - Japan/Australia Tour closes
- 1989 - Broadway closes
- 1989 - US Tour 1
- 1990 - Japan Tour 2
- 1991 - US Tour closes
- 1992 - London Revamp
- 1993 - Las Vegas
- 1997 - Starlight Express On Ice tour
- 1997 - Las Vegas closes
- 1997 - Expresso Astral, Mexico City
- 2002 - London closes
- 2003 - US Tour 2
- 2004 - UK Tour 1
- 2008 - UK Tour closes
- 2009 - New Zealand Tour
- 2012 - UK Tour 2
- 2013 - Asia Tour
- 2013 - Bochum celebrates 25 years
- 2017 - London Workshop
- 2018 - Bochum celebrates 30 years
If you have wondered what it takes to perform in Starlight Express, here are some Audition Notices, with the requirements for major roles.
See Amateur Productions for a list of Regional, Youth, and Amateur productions of Starlight Express. Please feel free to add to this log!